Monday, October 3, 2011

Mbuji Cafe

To many, coffee would be their wake up call or morning starters. For me, coffee is something that calms my senses. You may disagree with me, but coffee is something worth enjoying for me. As I was loitering about a friend's office the other day, I came across a brochure of this cafe-- Mbuji Cafe. At the beginning, I kept pronouncing it as "MeeBuuJee Cafe". After much annoyance with the "M" in front, I soon learned that the proper way of pronouncing it was just simply- Buji with the silent "M"

At the looks of the cafe, I thought I ventured into some "Island" with all the coconut tree leaves and "island-ish" decorations. However, at the same time, I felt relaxed at the sight of those deep couches, the place felt calm and cosy.




The menu was thick, definitely have a wide variety of choices, not too sure if I'm a person who likes such wide varieties though, it tends to make things harder to decide! But hey, at least its a place that spoils us with choices, eh? :)






Not forgetting set meals for the day!



I asked the waitress what would be their signature coffee and she suggested the Greek Coffee. She explained with pride that the coffee will be served in a special way. Too tempting to say no, I agreed.

My friends, Kelly and Cindy made their orders too. As we were waiting eagerly, I came across this little piece of information that made my visit an even more meaningful one:




After much talk with the waitress again, I came to know that the name MBUJI was taken from a rock found in Tanzania which the natives use to worship and offer their offerings too. She then further explained that a portion of the money that we consumers pay for a cup of coffee will be given back to the native coffee growers in Tanzania. She also added that most natives in Tanzania only have an approximate life span up to 40 years old as the land is often attacked by Malaria and the people are mostly poor.

Before you would judge that this is entirely a charity post, let me introduce to you the coffee which I have ordered- Greek Coffee.



I was impressed by the amount of things that they served me, definitely worth the price (RM 15, inclusive of tax) However, I was indeed confused! The waitress then guided me with four simple steps to enjoying this freshly brewed coffee.

Here let me show you how!
Step 1 & 2:

The coffee is in the Cezve/Briki pot specially used for this Greek Coffee. Pour out the coffee into the cup and sugar water to taste. This sugar water is different though. It isn't the usual sugar water but rather it is thick some sort of glucose I suppose.

Step 3 & 4

Served along with two large dates, I was told to take a bite of the date and have a sip of ice water. Found it funny though. To my surprise, the sweetness of the dates lingered in my mouth and I refreshed my mouth with the lemon scented water before my next sip of coffee. Refreshing indeed!

The coffee was thick, and I always loved thick coffee. I did not bother to filter or ask for it to be filtered, it was very well blend, and I loved it. It wasn't the usual pungent coffee that we aim for in the mornings, but rather very aromatic and smooth blend of coffee. It was definitely an experience.

My friends ordered other drinks such as Iced Honey Green Tea and Long Black Coffee:





















I did not really like the Iced Honey Green Tea (RM 9.90) because I felt that it was too much of Iced Honey instead of the Green Tea taste. As for the long black coffee, it was a very nice cup of coffee, steaming hot but the texture was lighter than the Greek Coffee that I had.

Here's one of the lunch sets that Kelly ordered:


And here are the food that Cindy and I ordered:


From first picture, Kelly's ham and cheese sandwich, Caesar Chicken Salad and Black Pepper Chicken.
In all honesty, I think the servings were pretty small. But the taste was good, so no regrets there. :)


Again, it was really an experience to this cafe and it is definitely worth to be visited again. The people here are friendly and you need not be shy to ask just about anything about their menu. And boy oh boy, the sight and smell of well roasted high quality coffee beans with slow jazz music is definitely a place for coffee addicts like me!


They have a WIDE range of coffee beans, you smell it, you name it! They have so many types of coffee to offer. I could drink at this cafe for a period of time and I'm sure I would not be bored of it!


Thanks to Mbuji, I'm now a satisfied coffee addict!


So cheers to Mbuji and cheers to Coffee goodness!



Guilty coffee addict, Charmaine Jeeva (54562)

No comments:

Post a Comment